Monday, February 8, 2010

ChaserCon talks, and 1/21/10 Huntsville tornado

FWIW, I'll be in Denver this weekend to do a couple talks at Chaser Con. The first on Saturday 2/13 will focus on the June 7 2009 supercell (essentially non-tornadic) in NW Missouri that was followed by what seemed like thousands of storm chasers. The second on Sunday 2/14 will look at some short term chase targeting issues as well as some tornado forecasting stuff in somewhat potpourri fashion.

A couple talks I'm looking forward to are Erik Rasmussen's about what's left to learn about tornadoes, and Chris Novy's talk about chaser responsibility and safety. Chris in particular is smart, entertaining, and cutting edge, and his talk should not be missed by anyone who takes storm chasing seriously.

On another subject, Andy Fischer has written an excellent analysis of the recent 1/21/10 tornadic mini supercell setting at Huntsville AL (associated with a "cold core" midlevel low). In this case, the tornado occurred with a cell well south of the surface low along the trailing front, which is somewhat different than the "typical" cold core setup. Andy's post is on his blog at: http://tornadoheadblog.blogspot.com

Hope to talk with some storm chaser colleagues in Denver!

- Jon Davies 2/7/10

1 comment:

Stephen Locke said...

Hello Jon,

I'm here in KC and just watched a webcast of your presentation in Denver. I'm sending you this note to tell you how much I appreciate the discussion and identify with your closing comments. While little is known of me I have been chasing for many years. I've watched the evolution of this activity and agree with your statement;

"storm chasing seems to have evolved into a largely cliquish, competitive, petty, and fame-seeking "activity" recently. Where has the wonder of nature aspect gone? Where is the true interest in learning how nature and weather works?"

Frankly this has bothered me as well to the point where I, for a long time, distanced myself from chasing. More recently I have decided what you describe as "true interest in learning how nature and weather works" is ultimately important. For that reason I am now chasing with greater enthusiasm than ever. I'm still tentative when admitting in polite company that I chase storms as there will invariably be the response "I always thought you guys have a few screws loose".

I've chosen to be one who promotes the art and science of storm chasing. I decided to represent what is noble about this activity and let the chips fall where they may. Your blog is a true gem and I hope you feel inspired to continue. The presentations from yourself and others at Chasercon restores much of my own respect for what we do.

On my site I find myself de-emphasizing my own personal story and dialogue
while trying to let the images speak for themselves.
Here is a link to my work;

http://www.tempestgallery.com/

-Stephen Locke